Ennis Street Festival
2nd Jul 2012 - 8th Jul 2012
The 7th annual Ennis Street Festival runs from 2-8 July. The programme for this year’s Festival is sure to inject plenty of joy and fun around the streets of the county town, through a host of high-quality, engaging entertainment, taking place on the streets of Ennis. There will also be a variety of exciting workshops for kids and adults including circus skills, mask-making, storytelling and even making musical instruments from recycled materials.
The theme this year is 'Commitment' - we wish to celebrate our commitment to our community and its fantastic diversity of arts and culture. There will be an exciting, exhilarating and colourful mix of acrobatics, music, dance, visual art, workshops, theatre, puppet shows, street art, the local art & craft market, and a rubber duck race, all put together by a team of national and international artists together with local community groups.
Two of the highlights are indoor shows which will be staged at Glór. First, on Friday, July 6, expect to be enthralled, excited and entertained by the Barcelona-based ‘Naiara Nunez y Canica Cuadrada’, one of Spain’s top Flamenco companies. This will not just be a night of pulsating Spanish dance, music and song but, in a cultural exchange twist, some top local traditional musicians will be invited to share the stage for the finale. Then, on Saturday July 7, The Changelings, a storytelling show featuring the world-renowned storyteller and illustrator Peter Stevenson and RADA-trained American actress Alison Matthews will be staged, also at Glór. This amazing show combines 400 original illustrations, a live music score and puppetry.
Highlights of the festival:
- Flamenco Show - by Naiara Nunez and La Canica Cuadrada
- The Mixtape Project - a music event by Clare Youth Services
- The Tallest Smallest Circus in the World
- The Colorful Fun Shadows - by Ana Bella Alvarez
- The Changelings - a storytelling show by Peter Stevenson and Alison Matthews
- Door To Magic Show - by Tic Toc Puppets
- Arts and Crafts Market by local artists
- Moroccan Irish Association
- Duck Race and Best Dressed Ladies competition
- Dance and music - by local community groups
- Laughter Yoga and Fun Yoga workshops
- Amazing Arts Exhibitions
- Street Art - by Eva Mena
- Samba Music - by The Mol An Oige Samba Band
- Commencing - by Immediate Theatre Company
- German Wheel and Stiltwalkers - by Sorcaluba
- Hitched - an acrobatic show - by Sorcaluba
- Jugglers and stiltwalkers - by Galway Community Circus
- Noahs Ark - a puppet show - by Dandelion Puppets
- Latin music - by “8 Punto G”
- Night-time Festival Music Trail
There will be different music events around the town during the day and at night-time in different venues, and more surprises during the weekend!